BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND Google Homepages »

Thursday, November 18, 2010

give thanks.

Sometimes I think that people forget that they have things to be thankful for. We get so wrapped up in our pet peeves and our anger that we often don’t have time to think positive. But with Thanksgiving right around the corner, I decided to take at least one day a week to think positive and say what I am thankful for.

I believe the biggest thing that we take for granted is our freedom. Most of us, me included, go through each day taking advantage of the fact that we can walk down the street with no worries (other than being hit by a car). But we don’t have to worry about wars happening here. We have the right to say what we want, believe what we wish, and do what we please. But we don’t think about those who sacrifice so much for us so that we all have the rights and freedoms that we enjoy every day. Being the sister of a Marine, going to basic myself (medical discharge), and many more family members in the Military, I have a pretty clear understanding of the price people in the Military pay so we can live the easy-going lives we love ohh so much.

Some never see deployment, some (like my brother) see many deployments, and some give their lives. Not only is it time away from their families, or time spent in some strange culture somewhere else, but it is willing to put pictures of things that most people can’t imagine in their heads, and the thought that they could get hurt, or worse. On top of that, the families sacrifice too. The time spent away from loved ones, worrying and waiting, is very difficult on spouses, children, parents, and the whole family.

Less than 1% of all Americans join to serve our country and protect the other, over 99% of us, that can’t, but most likely won’t volunteer themselves for such. So I am proud to say that I am thankful for the freedom that isn’t in the least bit free. I am thankful to live in the wonderful country that I am proud to call my home. We need not to get all wrapped up in politics and agreeing or disagreeing with the leaders. We need to remember that not everyone has the same plans, goals, or ideas. We won’t always agree with our presidents, or other political leaders, but that should not detour us from being proud of the country we live in. Nor should it detour us from being proud of the people who fight for our freedom. I am more than proud to say that I am the sister of one of my biggest heroes, my brother, a U.S. Marine. So remember to give thanks for the freedom we enjoy, and take time to thank a service member. I hope everyone is just as proud and thankful as I am to say that I am an American and I love the freedom that so many people have had to sacrifice for.

0 comments: